Friday, May 1, 2009

Giving Elastic a Chance?

When I first started making jewelry, I migrated more toward using beading wire and chain. I stayed away from elastic, because for the most part I thought it created a very young look. The other reason I overlooked elastic was because I had a problem with keeping pieces together. No matter what knotting technique I used, I still had problems getting the bracelets to stay tied.

While I avoided the material for a while, I came to have no other option when making a bracelet for my metal-sensitive mother in law to match her dress for my wedding. I opted for elastic, hoping that using some high-quality beads would make the look at least a little more formal.

When I finished the bracelet, I sealed the knot with this Krazy Glue product, and it worked great! The narrow applicator tip provides great control, and it doesn't gush out of the tube. I also like it because a lot of crafting adhesives carry serious warnings about being known carcinogens, and Krazy Glue doesn't. Not that I plan on eating any of my jewelry, but I feel safer knowing that.

I've since made a number of elastic bracelets, just casual things to throw on every day, and I've purchased a couple more bottles of the glue. It's great for other things as well, and so far I've not had anything come un-knotted.

No comments:

Post a Comment